Sunday, November 4, 2007

Open Minded

When choosing a board I try to keep "Open Minded". Not always going with the fad but not steering away from the fad either. I have been riding hull designs for a few years now and its a design I enjoy in and out of the fad. I love boards that trim and that feel even when your just standing there appreciating the wave. Not nose riding or carving a turn off the tail . Sure I love nice turns and noes rides and of course barrels but the feel of trim is equally as rewarding. Well almost, A good barrel is pretty much the best. The board shown is a 7'9" shaped by Marc Andreini. I have owned this board for awhile and plan to keep it. It may not be what your into and thats OK . Its the difference in the water that keeps the lifestyle evolving. If everyone was forced to ride pop outs the same color and shape we would probably be doing something else. Surf On Jdub

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have noticed that you have rode Andreini boards for some time. How did you come across his boards? I know he is getting alot of press of late. I think its about time shapers other than the mainstream get reconized. Thanks for the good word.

srfnff said...

Yowwwzah! Trim...same league as nose rides, barrels and radical carves eh?

FREERIDE said...

Indeed my good fried. If you think about it, all of the above do not happen unless you find the sweet spot of the wave. Trim is as important as bottom turns and positioning. The barrels, nose rides, and carves are the rewards of good trim, good positioning, good bottom turns, and Good Karma. And to Anonym. I learned of Marc Andreini when I lived in Santa Barbara In the early 80's. Great shaper.

srfnff said...

I've just gotta say that I felt this clip in my heart more than any other movie I've seen in a long time. Your gratefully postured soul arch in combination with precise board placement, translated by surfing theology, is as good as good religion gets...watching intelligently committed surfing done well is a great reward, pastime and pleasure. Stoked!

Erik Olson said...

!
Lovely little movie clip there!

unidentified said...

perty stuff.

unidentified said...

By the way, that clip is perfect as is; no overdubbed sound and edit, just au natural.

FREERIDE said...

Thanks for the kind words and lets all get some good surf this week.

Rui said...

Nice Clip, Nice surfing. Never tried a Hull. I have to go To California next year and try all that stuff unavailable in Portugal, yet!

Rui

FREERIDE said...

Thanks Rui, Next time in Ca. there is a hull here to try.